Welcome to our PRESSURE FREE VBC!

Below you will see the description of the book we are currently enjoying! Please, as you are reading, comment on the book (in the comment section, below the synopsis). Let us know what you are thinking!

Feel free to come and go as you please (no membership required). If you aren't into the current selection, well, just check back in the beginning of the next month, and see if you like the new selection better!

Thanks for joining, and have fun!

**Remember, you deserve to take time out for yourself..if that's spending time reading, great! If not, then go find something else that brings YOU joy. The world won't go under if you take 15 minutes (maybe even an hour or 2!) out for "me time". You are important, never forget it! :) **

Monday, August 4, 2008

AUGUST BOOK SELECTION: The Grand Scheme by Kathy Herman


Things couldn’t be better for Rue Kessler. He finally married the mother of his eight-year-old son and now has the family he’s always dreamed of. Not only that, his father-in-law hired him to be the new construction supervisor on a big condo project. He’s been sober for eighteen months. He’s plugged in at church. And he’s building his new bride the house she’s always dreamed of. Life is good.



While Rue is relishing his blessings, an environmentalist group called SAGE (Save All God’s Earth) comes to Jacob’s Ear and demonstrates in the city park, ruffling the feathers of some local retailers who fear the group’s protesting will run off tourists. When SAGE’s president is attacked and left for dead, an arson fire is set and an anonymous caller claims SAGE is responsible. That sets off a rash of retaliatory attacks, and Rue, his family, and his in-laws become targets of vicious acts that seem far more personal.



While Rue’s head is still reeling, a man on his work crew is found half dead in Tanner Canyon. Is SAGE trying to put a stop to condo project? Are the attacks even related?




Or is something more sinister afoot—something that will take all the faith he’s got to confront?


Based on James 3:16, “For when you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice,” this story will keep you turning those pages till the wee hours of the morning. Catch up on your sleep!



(Description found on: www.kathyherman.com)



-------

OOPS! So sorry I'm late posting the book selection! I don't know how time slipped by. Anyway, this is the last in the series. Next month we'll dive into something different. Enjoy!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

AHH!! Joni already got the book and we are still waiting ever NOT so patiently!

I called my library today, she said that they actually bought it for me (well for the library) and are waiting for it to arrive..so I'm just gonna sit n wait nicely like a good girl :)

But, I want it RIGHT NOW DANGIT!!

Sarah said...

Librarian called today..the book is IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on starting TONIGHT BABY!! :)

Joni Dixon-Stanger said...

Oh Sarah!! I am half way through it and it is so good. That damned Rusty is just a mean mean person. Can't wait to see how it resolves itself. I hate having to work and not being able to read. Thanks for getting me started on this series. Can't wait to see what you think.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you (gramma Jo) are half way through my stupid library still has not got the book to me I am tempted to just buy it I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NOW!!! Enjoy reading!!!!!
Kristi

Sarah said...

I didn't get to get my book today! had to go water a friends' lawn after work out in Nampa so by the time I got home and shoved dinner in my face it was too late to go. BUT, never fear! I will go get it in the morning :) Can't wait!!!!!!

Ess said...

This is not related to the book. It sounds like a good series I might just have to start it. But I wanted to thank the person behind Good Ol' Mendiola Fam thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving comments. :)

Sarah said...

I've made it to chapter 5..haven't had as much time in the evenings to read as I did before. Well, that and that I'm so tired by the time the kids go to bed that reading seems like a lot of effort! Anyway, I stole a few minutes this morning before the kiddos found me. :) I totally can't remember the guys name right now..but the guy who wants to one up Rue all the time (Meyer or something????) is DRIVING ME NUTS. I hope he gets put in line quick and that he gives that stinkin file back!!!

Oh, Rusty...what some good deliverance prayer meetings would do for YOU. LOL! No, but really..

Sarah said...

I can't believe Grayson..well I guess I can. Jealousy can do very strange things to a person.

Rusty, well, I'd really like to have a heart to heart with that fellow. Can't wait to keep reading and get to the root of his pain..

Will start chapter 30 tonight!

Joni Dixon-Stanger said...

Oh it's such a good book. Thanks for recommending it. You have me back in the spirit of reading again. I just finished Sail by James Patterson. I will be utilizing my local library as books can get darned expensive. Until I see what you are recommending for next month, I will start reading some James Patterson books.

Sarah said...

I hear ya. I'm trying to only put books up for reading that are available at most libraries. Otherwise this girl won't be reading! ;)

Just finished the book tonight, LOVED IT!!!! I know some of u are still catching up so I won't divulge any spoilers.

Sarah said...

P.S. My favorite part of the book was when she said, "Only when we learn to be content and confident in the person God is shaping us to be can we hope to stop comparing ourselves with other and cease to feel cheated when this world disappoints us."

That is so true and can be applied to our bodies, marriages, friendships, families, jobs, children....He made us all unique for a reason and all with a specific purpose. We have no need to try to steal someone elses b/c ours is just as important.

God is good :)

Kailin said...

So I never could find these at our library...but my mom had another series by her that I borrowed and I am completely hooked. She is an amazing author!

Bob West said...

I enjoyed your blog. what a creative and fantastic idea

http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/04/line-upon-line.html

God Bless, Bob West

Sarah said...

Thanks, Bob! It's been quite some time since we've had a book selection. But we plan on starting back up on May 1st. Thanks for visiting! :) Be blessed.

Toyin O. said...

Sounds like a great book, thanks for sharing.